Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop



What is a blog hop? Basically, it’s a way for readers to discover authors new to them. We hope you’ll find new-to-you authors whose works you enjoy. This hop-stop will show you a bit about me (Penny) and one of my work-in-progress book and links to some other authors you can explore.

Thanks to fellow author Raziel Moore, AKA Monocle, for inviting me to participate in this event. You can click the following link to learn more about his work: http://eroticwriter.wordpress.com.

In this hop, I and my fellow authors, in their respective blogs, have answered ten questions about our book or work-in–progress, giving you a sneak peek. There’s also some behind-the-scenes information about how and why we write what we write–the characters, inspirations, plotting and other choices we make.

Please feel free to comment and share your thoughts and questions. Here is my Next Big Thing!

1: What is the working title of your book?

Well, so, the funny thing is, I have a book in the works but it's not one I can share here. Or vs vs. I mean, I won't be sharing about this site as part of that book's publicity.

This blog is intended to be the "no self criticism, no hiding" place for me to write, generally shielded from the people who have some emotional investment in what I say and do. So when Raz invited me to participate, I was extremely flattered, but not at all sure how it might work.

I thought, though, I'd just imagine what kind of book it would be if I did write one here. I think I'd just call it: A Nest Made of Spittle.

2: Where did the idea come from for the book?
My mom called me. "Honey, I was cleaning out the basement, and I found a big box full of your diaries from high school. What do you want me to do with them?" Holy crap. I forgot about those. See, I have a long shelf or two here at my house already full of old journals. I used to number them, so they are shelved in chronological order. It's been so long since I looked at them - I forgot I was missing numbers 12 through 43.

Journaling was central to my life, as a teenager and into my 20s. Then I started blogging, and that filled the space. I went from filling a paper journal every few months to one every few years. More recently, I made my blogging public. Friends and family began reading my public blog, and when I write there I try to keep a high standard of a) craft and b) discretion. For the past couple of years, I've had no journal. And it was killing my writing.

So, here I am, hiding in the shadows again. Since I've started this blog, I've written more than I have in a long, long time - both here and in my regular writing spaces. My mind is free again and my excitement is back!

3. What genre does your book come under?
Self-help

4: Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Camilla the Chicken and The Monkees.

5: What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Sex-addled bird builds elaborate constructions to cope with her basic domesticity and nesting instinct.

6: Is your book self-published, published by an independent publisher, or represented by an agency? 
No, no, no, and no.

7: How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
25 years.

8: What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Colette's younger sister's teenage diary.

9: Who or what inspired you to write this book?
Clearly, inspiration is not the right word. Narcissistic drive, perhaps.

10: What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
I apologize in advance for everything I might write here. I plan to be very, very bad.


Here are the next authors on the Hop, joining me by blogging next Wednesday. Be sure to bookmark and add them to your calendars for updates on Works in Progress and New Releases! Happy Writing and Reading!

Shon Richards, http://erotiterrorist.blogspot.com. Don't let his relentless humor fool you into thinking his writing isn't hot, hot, hot.

Guy New York, http://quickienewyork.com. His most recent release is The Island on the Edge of Normal. Strong stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment